I finally got my hands on Omnisky's Springboard module yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll have a review finished before we leave for Comdex, so I'll give you the low-down on a few points now:
Overall I like what I see so far. The Minstrel S modem is not as bulky as pictures show it to be. This is a far better implementation than the @ctiveLink.
- Mac users can use Omnisky. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was two Getting Started sheets -- one for Windows and one for the Mac. Basically Mac users do the entire setup on the module and must update Omnisky content wirelessly using ScoutSync. Windows users have a ScoutSync conduit that handles this but can also use ScoutSync when on the road.
- Any PQA will run on Omnisky (unlike YadaYada). The manual states this clearly and there are a few that come with the module
- Start clearing space. You need about 1.5 MB of space for Omnisky (grumble).
- No color yet. Omnisky says they're working on it.
- TCP/IP app work fine. AvantGo worked fine (although slowly) with Omnisky. I had to download a special version of AIM for Palm OS to get it working. I am having trouble getting email to work though.
Should VisorCentral make a news PQA for wireless users? Discuss it here.